Sunday, October 3, 2010

Antique Window Panes


I really love the look of antique window panes and love using them even more in my home for decoration! I found this window pane at a flea market several years ago.  I wasn't quite sure what to do with it at first.

    I had seen some old window panes that had been hand painted and thought that would look really cute. . . so that's what I decided to do with it. I was into apples at the time and so I just hand painted right on the glass using acrylic paint.  

My sister Robbie purchased this window frame that was already hand painted from an antique store.  
I just love it and it looks so darling in her vintage kitchen.  Did I say I love it??? I will have do to a post about her kitchen sometime soon so you can see just how cute it is! We both have yellow cottage kitchens.
  I'm not sure who copied who . . . ? ;)

The mirror above my fireplace mantle is actually an old window pane. 
I spray painted it on the back side with Krylon Looking Glass Mirror-Like Paint.  The looking glass paint gives it a real vintage look. It's kind of hard to see, but it really does have the look of an old antique mirror.

    This is actually not a window pane. . . but a frame that I added some appliques to and then distressed it. It reminds me of other things that can be done using old window panes.  Vintage photos, pieces of old quilts, family photos, even kid's art work would look really nice in an old window pane!

I am linking to: Make it 4 Monday at Cottage Instincts and
White Wednesday at Faded Charm and
Transformation Thursdays  at the Shabby Chic Cottage

13 comments:

Pattie said...

I love your window panes, and just found your blog. So I am now a follower!
You might like a post of mine about old windows, http://myblog-bratti.blogspot.com/2010/09/another-view-to-halloween.html
Thanks for sharing!

Rebecca said...

You do a great job painting-love what you came up with!

Cabin and Cottage said...

What darling projects these are! Great results!

Blessedmom's Simple Home said...

I love these sweet window panes. Now go over to White Wednesday and link up my friend :-)
Blessings,
Marcia
P.S. Sorry I'm just getting around to visit. I haven't been online much in the past week. The busyness of homeschooling :-) I haven't even posted in a week either.

Terrell said...

I am loving your sense of style, lady!! It's just beautiful!! I'm happy to be your newest follower of your delightful blog and I'd love to have you as a friend at FrouFrou Decor! Be sure to link up your sweet creations each week at my Faboulous Friday Finds Party! Hope to see you there!
Hugs,
~Terrell @ FrouFrou Decor~

Lisa ~Suburban Retreat~ said...

Dear Janet: Just did a tour of your blog and LOVE IT! Everything about your home is absolutely lovely! I am now your newest follower. Please stop by and visit me sometime. ~ Lisa ~

Roselle said...

So pretty! Nice to meet you Janet. I am you newest follower. I collect old window panes too. I even have a "mirrored" one over my fireplace! Happy WW. Stop by my blog if you get a chance!

Olivia said...

Oh, this is just beautiful. You did a wonderful job!
Hugs,
Olivia

Incipient Wings said...

what an awesome idea!
your home looks beautiful.

Michelle said...

Beautiful! I love window panes too and recently acquired one and hung it in my kitchen and decorated it for fall

Revi said...

So sweet! And I LOVE the looking glass window!
-Revi

Sandra Ludwig said...

Those hand-painted glass windows are so adorable. They look so nice and divine that it is easy to overlook that that they are antique windows. Excellent job, Janet! You make vintage decorating very cool.

Sandra Ludwig

Roxie Tenner said...

I agree with Sarah! You’re very crafty and so adorably artistic! Well, I hope I can try to make some very nice art like that too, since I have many old windows that I still don’t know what to do with. Hehe! I think my house will be full of window decors. I’ll use your decors as my inspiration. :)

-Roxie Tenner-

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...