Saturday, October 30, 2010

Autumn Blessings!

A most gorgeous fall day in the local mountains... a perfect day for apple picking!


My sister Robbie and I planned a get together a few days ago to go apple picking in the local mountains where she lives.  We have been picking apples together every fall for over 20 years now and it has become a family tradition! We started out when our older children were quite young, but since we still have a few little ones who enjoy it .... it made for a perfect fall day!

Cousins Holland and Jaclyn love apples!
Jaclyn was eager to pick lots of apples because she especially likes the applesauce and apple pies that we will  make with them!
The next day we are ready to begin making applesauce! This apple peeler is so much fun to use!
I just love this apple corer!
Simmer the apples in a covered pan with water until tender.
I mashed the apples with a potato masher, but you can puree it with a food processor if you like.
I added some brown and white sugar and cinnamon to taste. I also added some red hot candies and it gave the applesauce a nice pink color! Yum!
Jaclyn, my official taste tester .... gives this applesauce her thumbs-up seal of approval!





I took some photos of Robbie's mountain home while I was there and I will share them in a few days.

3 comments:

Lisa ~Suburban Retreat~ said...

Dear Janet ... Wow, does it ever look beautiful up there in those mountains near where you went apple picking! Beautiful photos and your helpers are two of the cutest wee things ever! Happy Halloween to you and your family! ~Cheers~

Roselle said...

Such lovely and colorful pictures! I can practically smell those fresh, crisp apples!
Thanks for visiting my blog on PS!
xo
Roselle
p.s. the "cousins" pic is precious!

Faith Hope Cherrytea ~ said...

what a darling taste tester!
and what YUMMY applesauce - mmmm...
lovely pix you've posted- inspiring

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...