Saturday, October 16, 2010

My New Vintage Tablecloth

Recently, my mother-in-law, Bessie gave me her vintage tablecloth.  I was thrilled to receive it, not only because it is so cute... but, because it is yellow and red... just like my kitchen!  

However, I did not know the story behind it until now.
When my father-in-law Harold and Bessie were married on January 10, 1942, it was during the war. Harold was in the Air Force and they were not suppose to get married without first getting permission from the military.  Well, they went ahead and got married anyway with only $3.00 to their name! They rented a small one room apartment near the base. Harold would sneak food home from the mess hall so Bessie would have a little more to eat.

Bessie soon got a job working in a war plant loading tracer bullets... and, that is another story! 
Anyways, with her first paycheck, Bessie bought this tablecloth!  She said their apartment was very plain and thought this tablecloth was just the thing needed to brighten things up! Bessie also added, that the main meal served on this tablecloth was meatloaf!  



At first, I thought it might look nice as a valance... but, I decided to keep it on my kitchen table where we have already enjoyed some meatloaf!


Thanks, Bessie... I will treasure it!


This is their wedding photo.
Harold and Bessie have been married for 68 years now!!!


I'm linking to:  Vintage Inspiration Friday

9 comments:

Lisa ~Suburban Retreat~ said...

That is a lovely story with a happy ending! Thanks for sharing!

Debra@Common Ground said...

Oh, I love hearing this precious story. So glad to know they are still together and how wonderful that you now have this lovely keepsake! So glad you linked up for VIF!
hugs,
Debra

Roselle said...

First, the tablecloth is gorgeous and such a antique treasure from back then! The story behind it is beautiful! Thanks for sharing!
WTG Bessie and Harold!
Roselle

A Cottage Muse said...

Love having a treasure with a personal story behind it ~ lucky girl!! Beautiful people in that photo too!!

The Pink Rose Cottage said...

What a treasure! I just love the story! Out of all the vintage tablecloths I have, I don't have any with a family story. You have a extra special little blessing there!

Hope you don't mind, but I'd love to direct the members from The Vintage Tablecloth Lovers Club to your blog. They will truly love your story!!

~Holly

Georgia said...

Janet,
I just found your blog and now I'm following! I am a vintage linen collector and member of the Vintage Tablecloth Lovers Club like Holly. I also live in CA!

I have just one cloth with a family story connected to it and I love it the most!

Will be back soon!
Georgia
grandmagscottage.net

Blessedmom's Simple Home said...

I loved this post Janet! The tablecloth is a beautiful vintage one, but the story behind it makes it even more special. I'm having meatloaf today :-)
Blessings,
Marcia

kelly said...

How beautifully romantic...A lovely story and a bright cheery tablecloth!

vintagesusie & wings said...

I just found your blog & look forward to following you on life's many adventures.
Smiles,
Susie

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...