Tuesday, October 26, 2010

My Vintage Birdcage

Last week my friend Sue took me out to lunch for my birthday at one of our favorite restaurants for French Onion Soup. We always like to browse antique stores together and so after lunch we visited our local antique mall. While we were there I found this adorable vintage bird cage.  I have always thought it would be fun to have one just like this with a stand!
When I got home I hinted or rather told my husband about the most adorable bird cage I've ever seen in my entire life....and so for my birthday he "surprised" me with it!!! I love it even more now and it has found a special place in our bedroom! Thank you so much, Jim!!!
The vintage bird cage came with the pretty Lilly of the Valley flowers and little yellow canary. I think it looks so sweet!
Over the past few months, I have been redoing our bedroom.  I still have to sew the curtains and do a few other things, but just wanted to let you see a glimpse of it so far.
I found this lamp shade at a yard sale. I've seen vintage shades like this on blogs, and just love this look! I added the burlap ribbon with tea dyed lace and the rhinestone pin. The baby pics are of me and my husband.
 An old corner china cabinet given to us from neighbors is now a TV cabinet. I painted and distressed it and added the curtains. The vintage hats belonged to my grandma.

Another birthday present from my mom from several years ago. I am really enjoying this new look in our bedroom. I am thankful that my husband likes it, too! He does have a masculine home office and I will share that sometime soon!

I'm linking to White Wednesday at Faded Charm and
Show and Tell Friday at Cindy's Romantic Home!

23 comments:

Lisa ~Suburban Retreat~ said...

Well ... we've now established ~ Jim's a keeper! The wee hints of your bedroom reveal a very romantic space! Nice place to drift off to dreamland.

Faye said...

Very pretty! I love your Grandmother's old hats! The bird cage is great....I've been keeping my eyes open for just the right one too.

(wildrosevintage)

Bella said...

Hi Janet, Your birdcage is darling:-)) I love your lampshade too, so cute! and so many pretty hats your Grandmothers and in your header, pure charm!
Bella

My Blessed Serendipity Life said...

What an adorable birdcage. I love it with the flowers and bird displayed inside. Happy WW.

-Danielle

Blessedmom's Simple Home said...

Well, I don't know which restaurant you went to, but I'm guessing you went to Carriage House for the birdcage :-) It's beautiful, and so is your bedroom.
Blessings,
Marcia

Bead and Needle said...

Ohhhhh - I love that room! And, my grandmother had a birdcage just like that, when I was little - she kept live, yellow canaries as long as I could remember. Thanks for the memories tonight - happy White Wednesday!

Rebecca said...

I think you've got a great husband-mine never catch's on-I just by it myself-a few Christmas's ago-I tried that-someone else got what I wanted-lucky you!

Vicki said...

I just love these! Beautiful bird cage but my favorites are the vintage lampshade (love what you did) and the baby pics of you two! Thanks for sharing

Vicki at Rusty Rooster Vintage

FRENCH LAUNDRY said...

That lamp is darling!

Happy WW,
Judy

LizlovesVintage said...

Janet, Nice birdcage! Tweet, Tweet!
Hugs, Liz

Patti's Artful Design said...

Lovely pictures of your bedroom. I love that lamp!

Sandi said...

What a pretty birdcage and even nicer that hubby surprised you with it! Happy WW!
Blessings~

Donna said...

Your new birdcage is just a terrific find! I also adore your sweet lamp, and your curtained armoire!

Cozy Home Scenes said...

What a lovely gift your husband "surprised" you with. I love vintage birdcages too. A few years ago, I was at an estate sale and the lady of the home had two. I really wanted one, but at the time wasn't doing shabby chic and had no place for it.

Love all the things in your room, and will look forward to seeing the room when you get it done.

Happy Belated Birthday!

Amy @MaisonDecor said...

Nice birdcage! I love it!! I also like the lampshade....so vintage.

Judi said...

Hi there
Amazingly beautiful. I LOVE your special touches. Very very pretty. I need to find me a birdcage too...your home is lovely. Thank you for sharing.
Judi

Jaime said...

Mom, I love the bird cage! I'm so happy that dad got it for you! I am even more happy to see that is a fake bird in the bird cage and not a real one. jk jk.
Dad is always good at picking up on those things. I remember shopping with him for Christmas and he remembered everything that I pointed out or even just picked up to look at. And on Christmas morning, I found that he had bought them all. It is going to be so fun to see how the house has changed when I get home. Love you guys!
Jaime

Pearl Maple said...

fun post

enjoyed all your creative decorative images and really get that exposed lamp shade, like that !

David & Kelsie's Country Home said...

It is lovely...I love that vintage lamp shade also.

One question...When you are done, will you come do my room too :)

Kelsie

The shabby paris market said...

Hi...I just found your blog...beautiful and amazing! Thanks for sharing : )

Donna said...

Oh, I just love your birdcage (and your entire bedroom!) As another birdcage lover (I have several around the house), I never grow tired of them! Yours looks beautiful with the flowers and bird! I also love the lampshade treatment - very nice!... Donna

Joy @ Thrifty Parsonage Living said...

I can see why you fell in love with the bird cage, it's so cute. I love your lampshade . Your room looks so soft and romantic.

Chandeen @ Designed by Chance said...

Yup, that is a great birdcage. Just what I was thinking. thanks for the link.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...