Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Thanksgiving Blessings!

This year we will be celebrating Thanksgiving at my sister Robbie's
home in the mountains. They just got some more snow last night, so it should be gorgeous! 
My other sister Jennifer and her family along with my mom,
brother and all of the cousins will make 23 people for Thanksgiving dinner!
Robbie is fixing the turkey and a ham and everybody brings
something from appetizers to desserts. I'm bringing a layered jello salad,
praline yams and an apple pie!
Some of my fall decorations that will soon be taken down ...
to be replaced with Christmas decorations!
The very next day after Thanksgiving ... the Christmas decorating begins!
It usually takes me several days to complete!
The antique sideboard my husband gave me when we were first married,
 is always a fun place to display seasonal decorations.
I made the Autumn banner last year. I just love the cute little white
ceramic basket I found at a yard sale for 25 cents!

On Thanksgiving morning, our family enjoys watching the Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade.
We have a cozy fire going in the fireplace and something yummy to eat.

A movie we like to watch at Thanksgiving time is
  By The Light of The Silvery Moon, with Doris Day.
I just love old corny movies! I especially like to watch this one 
at Thanksgiving time, because there's a part in it about a pet turkey 
that is suppose to become their Thanksgiving dinner! It's just a fun movie!

My recipe for praline yams:


Praline Yams
4 lbs. yams, cooked, peeled and mashed
2/3 cup orange juice
1T. grated orange zest
5 T. Brandy (opt.)
1 t. salt
fresh ground pepper to taste
1T. ginger
4 T. butter, melted
1/3 c. brown sugar
3 egg yolks

Mix all together and beat until smooth.
Put in greased 13 x 9 casserole dish.

Topping

2/3 c. brown sugar
1 stick butter, melted
1 c. chopped pecans
1 t. cinnamon

Spread topping evenly over top of casserole.
350 degrees. Bake 40 to 45 minutes or until browned and bubbly.

I hope everyone has a Blessed Thanksgiving!
Count your many blessings, name them one by one!

2 comments:

Lisa ~Suburban Retreat~ said...

Hello Dear Janet ~ Your Thanksgiving sounds absolutely dreamy! Warmest wishes to you and yours for a wonderful Thanksgiving!
xox
P.S. ~ Lovin that sideboard (Good job hubby)

Blessedmom's Simple Home said...

I'm sure your Thanksgiving was wonderful up there in the mountains. I look forward to seeing your Christmas decorations :-)
I love yams and yours sound wonderful!
Blessings,
Marcia

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...