Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Drop Cloth Curtains!

After seeing so many posts out there about using drop cloths for curtains,
I decided to jump in and try making some myself!
Now, my kids already think I must be crazy.... so when they saw the drop cloths, they asked me what I was going to paint. I just said, I'm not going to paint anything.... I'm  making curtains! I decided to make the curtains while my husband was out of town for a few days. It seems whenever he is going to be gone for awhile, I always start a project to keep me busy (like I'm not busy enough)! Although, it only took me a couple of hours to complete them. When he got home and said how much he liked the new curtains, I told him they were actually drop cloths! Then he asked what I was going to do with the old curtains and I said, I'll probably be using them for drop cloths!
I bought two 6' x 9' packages at Lowe's for about $10.00 each. But, when I got home and opened them, they had a seam across the middle. I knew that would really bother me, so I returned them and went to Home Depot and purchased theirs for the same price. 

They were so easy to make! Basically, I just turned the top over for a ruffle and sewed a casing at the top. They are already finished around the edges. I washed them several times first, using hot water. I also added fabric softener and dryer sheets to soften them up. I bleached them a little, as well. They did need a lot of ironing, though! I do like how they turned out and especially like the fact that they are so washable and are a heavier fabric. I don't think they look like drop cloths at all!

Don't forget, my giveaway ends in 3 days! You can still enter it here!




Blessings,

11 comments:

Chandeen @ Designed by Chance said...

I have seen those posts too, and thought it would be a good idea. I'm glad you like them, I my try this myself soon.

Mary Ann said...

I am so impressed....your curtains look wonderful. Who would have ever guessed!

Handcrafted by Mary Ann Miller's $50.00 giveaway!

Gina said...

They turned out so nice! I can't sew at all, so I'm really impressed.

jAne said...

GREAT job!!!!!

my sister is making drop cloth curtains too - i'll share your blog link with her!

i **love** working with drop cloths for my slipcovers. almost done with the behemoth sofa cover - next will be seat covers with ruffles (er..pleats) for chairs by the fireplace. then my wingback chair. :o)

Lisa ~Suburban Retreat~ said...

These look FABULOUS Janet! Great Job! I love the idea of using your old curtains as drop cloths ... too funny!

Elizabeth and Gary said...

Hi Janet,
Your curtains turned out great! I made some drop cloth curtains too a while ago also a pleated chair seat cover. I love how the curtains look, but found that mine were a bit heavy for the curtain rod, so I purchased a new rod and that took care of that LOL.
I also used the drop cloth to make a few pillows.
Have fun being creative with the left over fabric..
Have a sweet day and hugs, Elizabeth

Melanie said...

Hi, Janet,
You did a beautiful job on your curtains! Who'd have thought to make curtains from drop-cloths??
Great price too!
Funny that you'll be using your old curtains for drop-cloths! :)
Hope you're having a great week!
I'm looking forward to seeing who wins your giveaway!

{Bellamere Cottage} said...

Great job! I LOVE using dropcloths.... Such a big piece of fabric at a great price. I'll bet Lowe's and Home Depot wonder why the sales are up on these beauties! :-)

Warm blessings,
Spencer

Lori said...

Hi Janet, LOVE your curtains! I just pulled my drop clothes out of the dryer and am getting ready to hang them for the first time; I am not going to iron them, they are not that wrinkled and I really like the relaxed casual look.....but, im confused about one litle thing; if I flip over the top of the panel like a valance, the wrong edges of the hems show along the bottom and sides of the panel......any suggestions?

Janet said...

Hi Lori!

That's great you're making some drop cloth curtains! I will admit I did not turn under the hem, it is on the wrong side, but I can't really notice it. I was going to turn the hem under the right way and sew it, but just didn't! I don't know why because I'm usually very precise when I sew. I'm making curtains for my bedroom and would never do that, maybe it's because their drop cloths. I think you should do what you feel is best, if it's going to bother you, then definitely hem them.

I think I may try not ironing my curtains the next time I wash them.

Blessings,
Janet

Janet said...

Also, about the hem (on the top ruffle,) I was thinking about sewing trim over it when I found some I liked.

Blessings,
Janet

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...