Thursday, March 10, 2011

Welcome to Our Library!

This is our library/office. 
I've been wanting to share this room for quite awhile, now.  This is where my husband works when he's at home. It is also his creative space (as he's a writer and performer) and it's decorated more in his style. The walls are painted red and there are several vintage airplane prints on the walls. Now, I really do love all of these antiques, but my taste is more cottage style and white painted furniture! 
A lot of our antiques have come from my sister and brother-in-law's antiques stores!
My husband had this roll top desk before we were married. Usually his lap top is sitting there and I admit this room is not always so neat and tidy.... but, it is a working office!
These bookcases are filled with books from wall to wall! 

When my husband Jim and I were first married, his eccentric boss bought a used bookstore just to have the books to fill bookcases in their offices! He soon got tired of them and was going to throw them all away! My husband loaded up our Mustang with hundreds of books! Our car looked like a low rider when he got home! But, we were thrilled to have so many vintage books! We have added to them over the years and even have a children's section!
I was given this antique school desk from my sister and brother-in-law when I was a first grade teacher. They own two antiques stores in Tucson, Arizona! 
This picture story book belonged to my dad when he was a child.

My great grandfather (on the left) and his Bible. 
That was his pocket watch he used when he was a conductor for the railroad.
A pocket watch collection!
I have had so much fun creating little vignettes for this room! It really is a wonderful room and my husband and I enjoy spending a lot of time here.


 I am so delighted to have almost 100 followers! So....  I will be having a giveaway very soon! Stay tuned!


I'm joining Vintage Inspiration Friday at Common Ground
and Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Cottage
and Show and Tell Friday at My Romantic Home!


Blessings,

18 comments:

Happy To Be/ Gl♥ria said...

Oh Janet you know I'm drooling over all those great leather books and the antique school desk..I have 2 I use as bedside tables in my guest room..What a fun office your hubs has...Love it..Thanks for sharing girl..and YIPPEE!! on almost a 100 followers I'm one of them..Hugs and smiles Gloria

Pam said...

Hi Janet,

I absolutely love this room! The rolltop desk is so neat. I love the typewriter, the books, the pocket watches, etc! Very well done!

Pam

Lisa ~Suburban Retreat~ said...

Dear Janet ~ I'm drooling here too! I have ALWAYS wanted a library and in my own imagination could have never envisioned something as beautiful as yours! Wall to wall books and that fabulous rich colour on the walls and your rolltop desk! What a gorgeous space you've created. Congrats. on your # of followers!

Laura Ingalls Gunn said...

What gorgeous vignettes! Juxtapostion at its very best.

I am having an antique auction on my blog. All sorts of lovely and romantic finds looking for a new home. I hope you'll stop by.

Have a wonderful weekend.

jAne said...

such a lovely, warm, inviting room! a home with books, especially if they're read, is especially appealing. :o)
thank you for sharing!

jAne

Ann-Marie ~ Brambly said...

You had me with library...I have a small library in my home and I just adore it. You did a fabulous job with yours-created such a warm, inviting space.Wonderful job!I'd love to have you visit me at Brambly. Take care.

Ann-Marie

Tammy @BeatriceBanks said...

I love your library. I know you all must be very smart people with all those books! Everything is decorated so beautifully! Great job!

Tracey said...

I love your library! It is so cozy and all those books....love it!!
Tracey

Susan Marlene Kinney said...

Oh how I LOVE old books! Thank you for resquing them!! I have some of my own that I will have to pack away because of my new arrival in April!! This old type writer reminds me of one my brother use to have. Yes, old type writers have always facinated me and drew my attention and imagination....

Rosie said...

What a dream room. I can imagine sitting in there with all the antiques and getting lost in one of the old stories. I really enjoyed this visit!

blessedmom's Simple Home said...

What a wonderful room! I could get lost in it, just looking at all the book titles. That roll top desk is beautiful.
My grandfather worked as a conductor on a train when my mom was a little girl. He only did it a few years, before taking his family back to the farm. The city just wasn't for him.
Blessings,
Marcia

blessedmom's Simple Home said...

I forgot to add, congratulations on reaching 100 followers!!
Blessings,
Marcia

...............Michele @ Portlandia Vintage said...

I love what you have done! The typewriter is fabulous!

Courtney ~ French Country Cottage said...

LOVE this Janet! The pocket watches are fantastic- love the desk and the wall of books!! What a great space!! Thanks for sharing at FNF! :)

Debra@Common Ground said...

Hi Janet, this is such a wonderful room. Your husband must really enjoy his space. We gals can have fun decorating these masculine spaces, too! Thanks for linking up with VIF!
hugs,
Debra

Pink Roses and Teacups said...

Hi Janet,

Nice to meet you. I am visiting from Gloria's. What a beautiful room! I have a mixture of cottage, and vintage things too. Congrats on your 100 followers. I am nearing that also. I was reading some of your other posts, and your adopted daughter is just darling. She looks like a little doll! What fun it must be to decorate her room. I was blessed with 3 daughters, and the youngest is 20. I so miss the days when they were little. Happy Birthday to your other daughter, and you too! She is a beautiful young woman. I will visit again!

Debbie

grammy and papi said...

LOVE your library/office. I'm a book lover also, except, I don't have all of mine in a library yet. My husband groans everytime he sees me looking at more books. Maybe that's because he's the one who usually carries them to the truck. LOL

I'm a new follower...glad to see you have gone past 100.

Have a God Filled Day
Shirley

Lynn-Teacupstitches said...

Hi janet!
I am in LOVE with this desk! In fact the entire room is fabulous and I could move right in.
I'm so glad you were able to rescue all those books :-)
I'm going to stick around and visit some of your older posts!
Gorgeous blog!
Hugs,
Lynn

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...