Friday, April 29, 2011

Banoffee Pie

Since all eyes are on England right now and the royal wedding, I thought I'd share about this scrumptious dessert called Banoffe Pie (bananas and toffee)! This pie originated in England, but is also popular throughout Europe. It is one of the most delicious desserts I've ever tasted! It's made from sweetened condensed milk, bananas and whipped cream in a graham cracker crust!

My daughter Jaime tasted this pie while she was studying in Europe last semester. She was fortunate to get the recipe and made it for us when she got home.
This photo of Banoffee Pie was taken by Jaime's roommate at the restaurant "Number 8" in Santa Ponza, Mallorca, Spain.

There are several versions of this delicious dessert, but the following recipe is the one Jaime brought home with her from the British owned restaurant "Number 8"!  We just made it for Easter and I was reminded again how yummy it is. It's very simple to make!  

Put 2 UNOPENED cans of sweetened condensed milk in a large pan and cover them completely with water.  Bring to boil, cover and simmer for 3 hours. Be sure to check on them periodically, so the water does not boil away! Be sure to KEEP COVERED WITH WATER (or could explode)! Now, Paula Deens Recipe is a little different, as she pours the sweetened condensed milk in a glass baking dish, covers it with foil and puts it in a larger poaching pan with water and bakes for 1  1/2 hours.

After simmering cans for 3 hours DO NOT OPEN! Cool completely! I put them in the refrigerator over night and made the pie the next day.
Make a graham cracker crust and bake before adding the toffee filling.
The sweetened condensed milk caramelizes and becomes toffee after boiling! Pour it (when cooled) into the graham cracker crust.
.
Layer with 3 sliced bananas.
Cover with whipped cream and more sliced bananas. I added some grated chocolate on top! You could also add strawberries and chocolate chips!
This pie tastes best after it is chilled. Actually, it was even better the next day! 
Hope you enjoy this little taste of England! Cherrio!

I'm linking to Masterpiece Monday at Boogieboard Cottage!


Blessings,

7 comments:

NanaDiana said...

Janet- You are a naughty, naughty girl...didn't you hear me say I was starting my diet tomorrow!? Seriously! I could probably eat that pie all by myself...I am copying this recipe down for future use! My friend, Carol, left a can of sweetened evap milk on the stove to carmalize it-left the house and it exploded and she was wiping up caramel for weeks. We don't talk about it in front of her anymore!;>) xxoo Diana

Miss Gracie's House said...

oh, yummy...gonna have to try that!
Rene

Gina said...

Oh my, this looks delicious! I need to make this. I had to go back & reread the recipe twice. You actually boil the sweetened condensed milk IN the cans? Thanks for sharing this.

Monique said...

That looks absolutely scrumptious. I wouls love to try that and I know I will. I love bananas and I love toffee !!
Have a great day.

Mary said...

This looks delicious!Thank you for sharing this on Masterpiece Monday. Have a great week, Mary :O)

blessedmom's simple home said...

I was reading the recipe and my mouth was watering! This looks and sounds delicious. I love anything with bananas, adding caramel, whipped cream and chocolate just makes it sound even yummier. I think those berries would be great too.
Blessings,
Marcia
P.S. I just learned a year or two ago about making caramel this way. I had no idea.

Karen said...

mmmmm...it looks delicious! Thank you for sharing the recipe!! :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...