Monday, June 13, 2011

Old-fashioned Oilcloth!

I've been wanting to cover my kitchen table with vintage, old-fashioned looking oilcloth for quite awhile now! I've seen oilcloth in stores and on blogs, so I finally ordered some a few weeks ago. There are lots of online sources and I bought mine here.  I needed 1 1/2 yards for my round table. Since my table is 48 inches across and the oilcloth was only 47 inches wide, I had to sew a piece on the end to make it just a little bit longer. There is a small seam at the very end, but it is hardly noticeable. It was very easy to sew with!
I just LOVE red and white polka dots! But, I had a such a hard time deciding which oilcloth fabric to choose! There are so many pretty choices! 
I stapled it underneath all around the table, so it would stay on tight.
 Oilcloth is very easy to care for, too! I just clean mine with a little dish soap.
This is the after photo of a tool caddy I found at a yard sale for $.50. It had Disney characters painted all over it!
 I forgot to take a before picture, but I primed it first to cover Winnie the Pooh, then painted it.
My oldest son Josh found these cute dishes at a friend's yard sale a couple years ago and bought them for me! He knew I liked cherries! He's so sweet! They were only $5.00 for 10 place settings, including bowls and mugs! The green checked silverware is from a yard sale, too. They were $1.00 for 8 place settings!!!
So, with some of the left over oilcloth, I made a banner! I'm not sure where it will end up, but put it here for now. I was thinking of maybe making a patio pillow with the rest!
My kitchen definitely needed some more color! I think it looks great now, especially for the summertime! 


I'm linking to Masterpiece Monday at Boogieboard Cottage,
Show Off Your Cottage Monday at The House in the Roses.
Table Top Tuesday at A Stroll Through Life and
Rednesday at It's A Very Cherry World!!

Blessings,

14 comments:

NanaDiana said...

Janet-Your table covering is just darling...and I love everything you have done! Especially covering up poor Pooh with cherries. I think Minnie Mouse would be very happy! Love it! Diana

Sharon said...

Oh my gosh, Janet! I love what you did with the oilcloth. Your kitchen is beautiful! I'm headed to the site right now to order some. Thanks for sharing!

Liz said...

This is so cherry sweet! I just love all of it! :)

~Liz

Gina said...

Oh Janet, I love your oilcloth! The polka dots are wonderful. I also love the matching banner. Your kitchen is just my style...bright & cheery (or maybe I should say "cherry!" lol) I once had a set of cherry dishes & for some reason, which to this day I cannot comprehend, I SOLD them! What was I thinking? Your dishes are pretty & your son was sweet to buy them for you.
Have a nice week!

Sherry@Back2Vintage said...

Love the oilcloth! The polka dots are perfect. The cherries on the chair backs really caught my eye....how cute!!!

marty (A Stroll Thru Life) said...

Janet your oilcloth looks wonderful. I love the idea. Love the polkadots and the toolbox is a great find. Gorgeous tablescape. Thanks so much for joining TTT. Hugs, Marty

Magical Mystical Teacher said...

That's one bright and cheery oilcloth!


DAWN TO DUSK

Yellow’s the color I wear at dawn
When dancing dewdrops spangle the lawn.

Red is the color I wear at dusk
When earth and sky are dry as a husk

And nothing stirs—not even a wing
Of bat or swallow or anything!


© 2011 by Magical Mystical Teacher


Boatman in Red

Mecky said...

What a great idea to make an oilcloth tablecloth. Love the color! I am going to chekc out that site where you bought your's.
The dishes are cute. How sweet of your son!

Jann Olson said...

I love red and white polka dots! Your oil cloth looks so darn cute. I am a lover of anything cherry also. You got some great yard sale finds. Your kitchen looks so cheery. I love red and yellow together. Thanks so much for visiting my blog. I am following you.

Debbie@Debbie-Dabble said...

I am so loving your Kitchen! I just redid mine in red and yellow and white!!

Hugs,
Debbie

Holly- Girls At Heart said...

Your photos are so cheery! I love dots- good choice! ♥

bj said...

This is waaaay too precious, Janet.
I LOVE red and white polka dots, too. :) It sure looks awesome on your table. The banner is so cute. I need to learn to make those. I am just talentless, tho and have such a hard time doing crafts.
I'm going by to look at the oil cloth..thanks so much for the link.
xo bj

Kim K. said...

Ok. Now, I'm going to be late for work because I've enjoying your blog so much. I adore all things cherry and this is a fabulous tablescape. I especially love how your found your dishes and silverware from a garage sale. SCORE!! I'm so glad you posted on my blog so that I could find YOUR blog.

Have a fabulous weekend.

Amy Jo said...

Hello,

I just found your blog through My Romantic Home and wanted to let you know how much I enjoyed my visit, your kitchen is adorable. I also collect the pin money banks.

Blessings,
Amy Jo

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...