Wednesday, June 15, 2011

What is Pin Money?

I first saw these cute little "pin money" purses on the pages of Romantic Homes magazine several years ago! I had never actually seen one until a few weeks ago when I was browsing through our local antique mall. I thought it was so adorable with the ceramic flowers and rhinestones! Since it was only $6.99, I just couldn't pass it up! I really didn't know too much about them and so after googling, I found out they were made in the 1950's! They are still around, but mostly on ebay.
The expression "pin money" first originated in England where pins were first introduced from France by the wife of Henry the 8th! Since pins were quite pricey back then, ladies set aside some money in order to purchase them for dress-making. However, it was their husbands who gave them this special allowance!
Photo from Romantic Homes Magazine
I think they make a sweet collection all displayed together!
Today the term "pin money" is money set aside for extra little luxuries and treats! I guess you could say I purchased this pin money purse with my own pin money!

I am definitely keeping my eye open for more!

I'm linking to:
Vintage Thingies Thursday at the Colorado Lady
Vintage Inspiration Friday at Common Ground
Feathered Nest Friday at French Country Cottage
Blessings,

16 comments:

Gina said...

What a great story! I love your little purse. I'm going to be on the lookout for these from now on. Thanks for sharing.

NanaDiana said...

Janet-That is really, really cute. I always thought the term came because women used to pin their money to their underclothes for safe keeping. See what we learn here? I love your find and it looks like it is in perfect shape. Very sweet! Hugs- Diana

LV said...

Thanks for the information on this little jewel. I had never researched the meaning. You were lucky to find one and in such great condition.

Sherry@Back2Vintage said...

I've always heard the term "pin money" but I didn't know the history or that these adorable little purses existed. Great post!

D said...

Hi, Janet,
I had never heard that term either.
Thanks for the interesting post about it, and thanks for your sweet comment on my blog.
D

Ivy and Elephants said...

I have that very same little bank, I think they are just so feminine and romantic. I love your blog, so we'll be following you. Come check us out!
Best to you,
Patti

bj said...

First, thanks so much for stopping by my cottage. I do hope you'll come back often. I am signing up to follow you to the ends of the earth..:))

Your Pin Money Bank is adorable.
I have one almost like it.
The funny thing is that in the FOLLOWING issue of Romantic Home, there is a Letter in it, from me, regarding the beautiful pin banks the lady has that was featured .I had never seen a Pin Money bank until that time and I just shot off an email to RH and darned if they didn't print it.
I was a teen during the 50's and I never saw or heard of these banks. Wonder why? ANYway, I bought mine off Ebay years ago.
xo bj

Kim K. said...

I'm so happy to have found your blog! I'm your newest follower. I love our vintage and China connection.

A Cottage Muse said...

Hi Janet...love, love, love this post! I did a post on my pin money purse in February 2010. I've learned a bit here today, thank you so much! Have a wonderful weekend!!

JudyBug said...

When you said "pin money", I just knew what you were going to have! I have admired these for years. Isn't that display of all of them just wonderful?

Thanks for your visit and the "follow". Returning the follow! :)

Jann Olson said...

How cute! I have never heard of pin money or pin purses. Thanks for the bit of history. It was very interesting. Hmmm, is this something else I'm going to want to collect? LOL!

~Lavender Dreamer~ said...

I have never seen one of these...but I love them and will be on the lookout for them now, too! They make a wonderful collection...and they will hold all of the money you save! ♥

April said...

OH! Something else pink and girly and gold to collect! Just what I needed this Saturday morning, with a bit of "pin money" jangling in my purse! :)
Following your beautiful blog now...
Hope your weekend is beautiful too!

Judi said...

How interesting. They are pretty. I'll have to keep my eyes open for some also though I can't ever recall seeing any around.
Pretty.
have a wonderful day
Judi

Mary Ellen said...

You found a great deal on this sweet pin money bank. I have a small collection (maybe 8) and they are hard to find at a reasonable price these days! I remember that magazine article- I had just started collecting these sweeties a few months before.

blessedmom's simple home said...

Oh, how sweet this is. My mom always said that you need a little "pin" money. When I met my husband, his mom used the phrase "mad" money. Same idea though :)
Blessings,
Marcia
P.S. I love your oilcloth. I need to buy some. I always throw a plastic piece over my tablecloth for easy clean-up, but the oilcloth looks much prettier.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...