Monday, August 8, 2011

Some Fun Weekend Projects!

I've been seeing these cute faux blue mason jars around blogland lately and thought they would be fun to make! I just love their vintagey look and they were actually pretty simple to do! I painted them with a mixture of white glue and a few drops of blue and green food coloring. If you google "faux blue mason jars" you will find a lot of tutorials. Keep in mind, they really are just for decoration only! I'm definitely going to be making more of these! I think next time I will try using mod podge instead of the white glue.

Okay, I just have to add this now! After two months, these blue jars have completely faded!

Here's another fun project I did over the weekend! 
I found this picture frame at a yard sale (sorry I forgot to take a before photo), but it was just a silvery metal picture frame. I've been looking for something like this because I've been wanting to make a chalkboard sign! I took out the glass and spray painted the frame white. Then I cut out some particle board to fit inside the frame and gave it three coats of chalkboard paint. Super easy and fun!
I painted the mirror my husband found on the side of the road! 
I used the Olympic ONE paint in antique white from Lowe's. It has the primer already in it! I really like using this paint because I only need two coats! I'm so happy how this mirror turned out and to think it was just sitting on the side of the road!

I'm linking to Show Off Your Cottage Monday at The House in the Roses!


Blessings,

8 comments:

Amy Jo said...

I love how your mirror turned out! Sounds like you had a busy weekend.

Blessings,
Amy Jo

Gina said...

It looks like you've been very busy! I never knew you could paint mason jars like that so thanks for sharing. The chalkboard looks wonderful & so does the roadside mirror too.

Ivy and Elephants said...

Hi Janet!
Great projects you created. All in one weekend? You are amazing! I love the little chalkboard sign. Gotta run, I'm off to find a frame so I can get started on my own!!! LOL
Hugs,
Patti

Holly said...

Hi Janet~
You are so creative!! I love what you did with your new chalkboard and the mason jars. And, what a fabulous find with that mirror! I love other people's stuff!
Thank you so much for stopping by and becoming a follower. I am you newest follower.
Blessings!
Holly

NanaDiana said...

Wow- Great roadside find...and I love your mason jars. I've been seeing them around too. Your chalkboard is adorable. xo Diana

Kim K. said...

You were very very busy. Your projects turned out fabulous. I never knew you could paint mason jars with glue and food coloring. I've got a few of my grandmother's blue jars, but I'd love to add more to my collection. Thanks for the tip!!

Ana said...

Oh Janet,
Love the way your projects came out. Can't believe how you did the blue mason jars...Glue and food coloring, really? They look fantastic. Thanks for sharing.

Hugs and Kisses,
♥Ana

Roselle said...

Hi Janet:
I LOVE your creations. The blue jars are so pretty. I've seen these all over blogland lately too and they are on my "to-do" list.
Have a great week ahead!
xo
Roselle

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...