Wednesday, September 14, 2011

A New Floor!

I've been absent from blogland for a few days because I have been busy laying a new floor! Yep, I actually did a lot of it myself! Of course, I did have a little help! Well, actually a lot of help! The first day, my brother came over and helped my husband lay about 2/3's of the floor. Over the next few days my husband and I finished it up!  We just need to finish adding the baseboards!
We laid the wood laminate in our family room, kitchen and down the hallway, over 400 square feet! 
I had a really hard time deciding which color of wood laminate to choose. I couldn't decide between the darker Brazilian Cherry or a lighter oak color. I decided to go with the darker Brazilian Cherry and am glad I did! I like the darker shade with all the white and am so happy with how it turned out! It feels like I have a brand new house!
 I admit, it was a much harder job than I realized. Just the preparation alone (removing the carpet and pad, tack strips, nails, etc) was a lot of work! We are hoping to install more laminate in the rest of the downstairs, but maybe not until next year after we've had a chance to recover!!!




Blessings,

11 comments:

Cindy said...

Your floor is beautiful! The nice thing about that flooring is that you can do it yourself. Your cottage is just darling, I love the white on white furniture with the light yellow walls and touches of red, it is really gorgeous!!!
Hugs, Cindy

Allison Nicole said...

I think you made a great choice with the darker floor, up against the white cabinets is beautiful!!

Gina said...

It looks beautiful! Nice job working on this yourself.

Boo-Bah AKA Iris said...

Your floor is beautiful. We have laid laminate wood floors through our whole house, well we still have the kitchen to go. I shouldn't say we because I didn't do any of it. My son in-law helped my husband lay it.
I love the white dining chairs.

Ivy and Elephants said...

The floor looks gorgeous. I think the color choice is perfect.Great job!
Patti

NanaDiana said...

Janet-It looks absolutely beautiful! You did a great job and I know it is a lot of work!!! What a difference a wood-toned floor makes in a house...and the laminate is so easy for upkeep in a busy household! Love it! xo Diana

Kim K. said...

It's just gorgeous and that was a LOT of square footage. Definitely a rest is in order. Your white furniture is just dreamy against the dark wood.

Amy Jo said...

Wow! It looks gorgeous! I love your living area... your seashell table is really neat. Thanks for sharing the results.

Blessings,
Amy Jo

Judi said...

Hi Janet
Your new floor looks great! It must feel like a new home with such a new look...and you were able to do it with a little help. Love it.
have a great day
Judi

Ana said...

Oh Janet,
It looks beautiful...I love it. Believe me, I know how much work it is. My hubby and I tackled putting down laminate floors downstairs to match the rest of our house...I thought I would never do that again...A couple of weeks ago we volunteered to put down laminate floor in my mother-in-law's living room...What were we thinking? Hee, hee, hee. But it was all definitely worth the effort. Love the contrast of the white furniture on your dark floor. Excellent choice. Great job. Have a wonderful day.

Hugs and Kisses,
Ana

Kathy said...

The darker Brazilian Cherry color of the floor absolutely turned out great! It’s good that you chose this shade because it let your white furniture stand out. To preserve the beauty of your wood flooring, clean it regularly and apply wax on it every now and then. It would also help if you’d put some rugs or carpet to prevent scratching your wooden floor.

*Kathy Carbone

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...