Friday, February 10, 2012

A Vintage Romance

With Valentine's Day just around the corner, I thought it would be fun to share this sweet photo of my grandparents Otto and Bernice. It was taken on their wedding day June 11, 1924! They were quite an amazing couple, to say the least! They built their own home and had the most beautiful garden! My grandfather had a real sense of humor and would always make us laugh! Sadly, my grandpa passed away when I was a teenager. My grandma was raised on a farm and taught me so many things! She was a talented seamstress and is the one who taught me how to sew! The dress form in my previous post was named after her. Her first name was Viola, but I'm told she never liked that name and always went by her middle name, Bernice. She lived to be almost 100 years old!
This is their actual wedding invitation. My mom said that they were very much in love and had a wonderful marriage. My mom still holds onto some of their love letters and he would always sign his name "Daddy". I think that was an affectionate way of saying, he would always take care of her.
Since I just adore their wedding photo, it inspired me to make this vintage collage. 
 I made this next collage using some vintage postcards, lace and sheet music! They were both so much fun to make and I just love this vintage look!

I'm linking to: Show and Tell Friday
                             Vintage Inspiration Friday 
                       Feathered Nest Friday
                         Knick of Time Tuesday

Blessings,

12 comments:

Julie said...

Oh, I just love your collages. So beautiful.

How sweet that you and your mother have such lovely memories and mementos of your grandparents and their love story.

Audrey said...

Lovely collages. Nice way to honor your Grandparents and keep the memory fresh in you mind.
Blessings.
Audrey Z @ Timeless Treasures
http://audreyzumwalt.blogspot.com/

Rebecca said...

Just beautiful, Janet. Gorgeous Collage...

Love, Rebecca

Leslie's Garden said...

How lucky you are to have such a lovely photo of your grandparents. I just love those "bonnet" veils they wore in the 20's. I think they are so soft and pretty. You did a great job of preserving them in your collages, now they'll be safe for many more years!

Kim K. said...

What beautiful treasures. Such a special love story preserved in your collages.

Susie said...

Janet, I loved the little story of your grandparents. Your collages are beautiful. Smiles, Susie(She Junks)

Laura said...

Your collages are lovely.
You have inspired me to do more with some special photos I have.


Laura
White Spray Paint

I am a new follower!

Kim~HomeIsWhereTheHeartIs said...

Loved hearing about your grandparents...their wedding picture is just beautiful :)

Lisa ~Suburban Retreat~ said...

Oh Janet ... Your collages are GORGEOUS! Thanks for sharing such a wonderful love story!

Julie Harward said...

I loved this Janet..I love their names, I think many babies now are being given names like this, love it that they are coming back. Love their picture and what you did here..wonderful! :D

Gina said...

What beautiful treasured collages! Thanks for sharing such a sweet story about your grandparents.

Audrey-eleganteconomies.blogspot.com said...

What a lovely heritage...few folks have the connection you have to your family's past. It is so good that you cherish it. New follower.
Blessings, Audrey

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...